- 125g butter
- 75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 185g (1 1/4 cups) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp milk
- 160g (1/2 cup) jam of your choice (like strawberry, raspberry, apricot, plum or blackberry)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Beat the butter, caster sugar and vanilla essence in a medium mixing bowl with electric beaters until pale and creamy. Sift the plain flour and baking powder together. Use a wooden spoon to mix the dry ingredients and milk into the butter mixture. Mix to a soft dough.
- Roll small balls of biscuit mixture with lightly floured hands and place on the prepared baking try about 5cm apart. Flatten each ball with a spatula to make them about 3.5cm in diameter. Make a 2cm-wide indent in the centre of each with your finger or the end of a wooden spoon. Fill each indent generously with jam.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Stand on the baking tray for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining biscuit dough and jam. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Good luck! And remember not to make the same mistake that I made. I would also add a bit more milk than the recipe suggests, or else the go really crumbly, and it does NOT make 40, I only got about 15, but this is the original recipe.