Tuesday 5 July 2011

Jam drops and stupid mistakes

I just made jam drops about 10 minutes ago, and I made the stupidest mistake. I had done almost the whole recipe, the drops were even on the trays, and I looked into the fridge, to find that we had NO jam apart from some disgusting ginger jam stuff! We didn't even have any chocolate to replace it with! Eventually I found some tinned peaces and decided to replace it with that, but it's not really the same is it. Next time I will get out ALL the ingredients before I start, not just most of them. Hear is the recipe in case you want to try making them yourself. I have a better one, in my opinion, but I can't find it. 

Preparation Time
20 minutes
Cooking Time
18 minutes
Makes
about 40


Ingredients
  • 125g butter
  • 75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 185g (1 1/4 cups) plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp milk
  • 160g (1/2 cup) jam of your choice (like strawberry, raspberry, apricot, plum or blackberry)
Method
    1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
    2. Beat the butter, caster sugar and vanilla essence in a medium mixing bowl with electric beaters until pale and creamy. Sift the plain flour and baking powder together. Use a wooden spoon to mix the dry ingredients and milk into the butter mixture. Mix to a soft dough.
    3. Roll small balls of biscuit mixture with lightly floured hands and place on the prepared baking try about 5cm apart. Flatten each ball with a spatula to make them about 3.5cm in diameter. Make a 2cm-wide indent in the centre of each with your finger or the end of a wooden spoon. Fill each indent generously with jam.
    4. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Stand on the baking tray for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining biscuit dough and jam. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.


      Good luck! And remember not to make the same mistake that I made. I would also add a bit more milk than the recipe suggests, or else the go really crumbly, and it does NOT make 40, I only got about 15, but this is the original recipe.






      No comments:

      Post a Comment